Common SEO mistakes during a website migration
Website migration can be a complex process, especially when it comes to maintaining and improving search engine optimization (SEO). It’s important to carefully plan and execute the migration to avoid costly mistakes that can negatively impact your website’s search engine rankings and traffic. Here are some of the most common mistakes to avoid during a website migration:
- Not properly redirecting old URLs to new ones: It’s essential to redirect your old URLs to the corresponding new ones to ensure that search engines and users can easily find your migrated content. If you don’t properly redirect your URLs, you’ll lose all of the SEO value and link equity associated with those pages.
- Changing URL structures: If you change the structure of your URLs during the migration, it can cause problems with your internal linking and navigation, as well as confuse search engines. It’s best to keep your URL structure as similar as possible to the old one, or at least use 301 redirects to ensure that any value from the old URLs is passed on to the new ones.
- Losing valuable content: During the migration process, it’s important to ensure that all of your valuable content is migrated to the new site. Losing content can negatively impact your search engine rankings and user experience.
- Failing to update internal links: Internal links are an important part of your website’s navigation and help search engines understand the context and relevancy of your pages. If you fail to update internal links during the migration, it can cause broken links and make it difficult for search engines to crawl and index your website.
- Not verifying your website with Google Search Console: After the migration, it’s important to verify your website with Google Search Console to ensure that Google is able to crawl and index your new site properly. This will also allow you to track any crawl errors or indexing issues that may arise.
In summary, proper planning and execution is key to a successful website migration. By avoiding these common mistakes, you can maintain and even improve your website’s SEO during the migration process.
Create your SEO migration mapping 5 times faster.